Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"What if," Disney style

A Whole New World
By Liz Braswell
Series: A Twisted Tale
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Disney Press (September 1, 2015)
ISBN-10: 148470729X
ISBN-13: 978-1484707296
Age Range: 12 - 18 years
Grade Level: 7 – 12
Approximate Lexile: 720
ebook provided by NetGalley for review. Thank you!
 
“Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways. Each book asks the question: What if one key moment from a familiar Disney film was changed? This dark and daring version of Aladdin twists the original story with the question: What if Jafar had found the lamp instead of Aladdin?”
 
This book started off just like the movie, until that pivotal moment. Then…I’m not quite sure how I feel about it. I love the idea of alternate history, and examining “what-if”, but I’m not too sold on the way the author handled it.
 
First, there is very much a vibe of “Disney princesses need to get out of the mold of always having to be rescued.” I don’t necessarily object to that idea. I like “Jasmine-as-revolutionary-leader.” But it does have that feel of, “Let’s appease public opinion.”
 
I also have a quibble with some of the language used in the book. No, not that kind of language. Anachronisms. Remember, this is ancient Agrabah. So why are people saying “Okay” (originated in mid-19th century USA) and “down with that”? And don’t even get me started on baguettes….Am I being too picky?
 
Nitpicks aside, this is a cute story. I particularly enjoyed the way the character of the Genie evolves from what we saw in the movie. The ending was bittersweet, but satisfying.
 
Possible objectionable material: Violence, walking undead. A few chaste smooches.
 
Who would like this book: Disney fans, of course. Anyone who likes alternate versions of favorite stories. Those who like a bit of adventure. The suggested age range provided by the publisher is good, though I think it may skew a little younger, more like 10-16 and grades 5-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment